Sunday, June 24, 2012

Facon-Bacon F.L.T. Sandwiches

I saw someone talking about tempeh bacon recently and my mouth began to water.  From that mouth watering moment on I knew I had to give it a try.  Here is my cruelty free version of the BLT...it's called the FACON LETTUCE TOMATO! 

INGREDIENTS:
1 PACKAGE TEMPEH 
1 CUP FRESHLY JUICED APPLES 
1/4 CUP PURE ORGANIC MAPLE SYRUP
2 TBS GF TAMARI
1/4 TSP CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
DASH OF CAYENNE PEPPER

SLICE THE TEMPEH VERY THIN AND MIX ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND POUR OVER THE TEMPEH.  COVER TIGHTLY AND STORE IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS, OVERNIGHT IS EVEN BETTER!

TO COOK:
IN A PAN, HEAT SOME COCONUT OIL AND BROWN THE TEMPEH ON EACH SIDE.  DRAIN ON PAPER TOWEL.  PLACE ON A COOKIE SHEET AND BAKE IN A 350 OVEN FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTE OR UNTIL DESIRED CRISPNESS OCCURS. 

For a really YUMMY gluten free take on the F.L.T, try a rice tortilla with a layer of vegan mayo, tomato and lettuce with a few strips of the facon.  Oh boy, my mouth is watering AGAIN just thinking about how good this tasted!  Enjoy!

No comments: