Sunday, January 29, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage with Cashew Cream Sauce

The other day I picked up a beautiful organic head of green cabbage.  I didn't have a plan when I bought it and it has just been hanging out in my refrigerator waiting for me to decide on a plan. I love the days when I open my fridge and get inspired by an ingredient, kind of makes me feel all "Iron Chef-like", minus the butchering of animals, that is.

There really isn't much I miss being  vegan. I LOVE all the food I make and feel great about my lifestyle choice to not consume animal products.   However, I must confess that I do get a craving for  classic comfort food now and then, something bubbly and cheesy.  I have sampled some of the nondairy cheeses and they really don't do it for me.  So while I was staring at this cabbage, and longing for something comforting and "cheesy", I decided I would make stuffed cabbage with a luscious cashew cream sauce, and here is what I did:

I couldn't get a good picture.....but trust me, it's SO GOOD!!!

Ingredients:
Stuffed Cabbage:  MAKES 8 ROLLS (double the recipe if you want more rolls)
One head of organic green cabbage
1 package of Light life organic wild rice tempeh
1 large organic onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 organic carrots chopped
1 28 oz container of chopped tomatoes (I use these because they aren't in a can) 
red wine
water

Cashew Cream Sauce: 
1/2 c raw organic cashews
2 c non dairy milk (I used rice)
1/4  c nutritional yeast
1 tbs corn starch 
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp liquid amino

Preheat oven to 375

Core the cabbage and place into boiling water for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the cabbage and place into cold water to stop cooking.  Gently peel the leaves off the head of cabbage and set aside on a towel to dry. You will need 8 leaves. Keep the rest of the cabbage for salad, juicing or whatever you can think of!  

In a saute pan heat up 1/4 c water and saute the onion and garlic until soft.  Add the carrots and CRUMBLE the tempeh into the pan. Add 1 cup  of the tomatoes.   Add 1/4 c red wine and saute, mixing to coat all the ingredients in the wine.  Add more wine or water if the mixture begins to stick.  Cook until all the ingredients are soft and cooked.

In your 9x13in pan, spread a layer of tomatoes in their juices on the bottom of the pan.  Reserve some of the tomatoes to top the rolls.

Take a cabbage leaf and spread out.  Place about 1/4 -1/2 cup of the tempeh mixture into the center of the leaf. Roll the leaf and fold the ends under.  Place the roll in the pan SEAM side DOWN.  Repeat until you have 8 rolls or used up all your filling.

For the sauce:
In a sauce pan put the milk and whisk in the corn starch. Bring to a boil and simmer until thick.

In a food processor or blender put the cashews.  Blend until the cashews are broken down.  Add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper.  Blend well.  Add the milk mixture to the processor and blend well, you may need to scrape down the sides a few times to get all the cashew mixture.  Add the lemon juice and aminos, blend again until smooth.

Pour the cream mixture evenly over the rolls.  There will be quite a bit of sauce in the pan.  Top the rolls with the remainder of the tomatoes. 

Bake for about 30 minutes and serve immediately.

The sauce on the rolls, combined with the tomatoes, was OUT OF THIS WORLD!  It reminded me of ricotta cheese but SO MUCH TASTIER, (and BONUS, it's not from an animal of course)

My non-vegan parents came for dinner and loved this recipe.  I felt sort of foolish during dinner because every time I took a bite I said, "Oh my goodness, this is so yummy"....really, I hope you like it as much as I did!  I look forward to leftovers!!

No comments: