Monday, November 7, 2011

Gltuen Free/Vegan Flax Bread (in the bread machine!)

Gluten free bread making is not for the faint of heart.  There are so many flour combinations out there and learning how to use each one correctly seems more scientific than artistic at times.  Not only was I attempting a corn free, gluten free bread, but I also wanted it to be vegan. My youngest has Celiac and recently we took corn out of her diet to see how her health improves.  I have RA and have been gluten free for a while,  but I am now trying to take all grains out of my diet to improve my joint pain. It's amazing what you can do when you are motivated by health!

Here is the breakdown of this recipe:

Ingredients:
DRY
1 1/2 c garbanzo bean flour
1 c potato starch
1/2 c brown rice flour
1/4 c flax meal
2 tsp guar gum
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
1 yeast packet

WET
1 1/4 c warm water
2 tbs oil
1 tbs agave
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 flax egg (1 tsp ground flax mixed with 3 tsp water)
(or your egg replacement of choice)

In your bread machine pan:
put in the yeast, warm water, oil, agave, vinegar and flax egg

In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients together with a whisk.  Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients.  Set the machine for 1.5lb loaf with a medium crust.  I have a gluten free bread cycle on my machine so that is what I used.  If you don't have one, use the setting for a rapid white.

Watch your dough as it is mixing, it should be thinner than regular bread dough but not watery like a batter...add a tsp more flour if it looks to wet, or a tsp of liquid if it looks to dry. 

Let the bread cool completely before cutting.

Here is what I have noticed so far:
  • the bread has a nice taste, goes well with nut butter and jelly! It has a different taste than traditional GF bread because of the garbanzo bean flour (FYI)
  • is on the dense side and has a firm crust
  • isn't crumbly but needs to be cut with care and not too thinly sliced
  • Store in a sealed bag in the refrigerator or freezer 
My goal in my next loaf is to be grain free so I will sample more non-grain flours.  I would also like to eliminate oil as well, so if you have any tips for me about that I would be happy to hear them!

I know how difficult producing a good gluten free bread recipe is, and I have tried many myself!  If you try this one let me know how you like it.  If you don't like it I'd LOVE to hear suggestions on how to improve it.

No comments: